Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A stand for ipad.



So I am using this for the Spring Pinterest Challenge!  You have heard of it right?



It is put on by some awesome bloggers, Sherry at Young House Love, read it every day!, Katie at Bower Power Blog, have you seen her youngest Weston?  Cautie Patootie to the max!  Emily from Sparkle Meets Pop, and Renee from Red Bird Blue.  Such Fun!


So here it is, my Pinterest inspired project!


Do you ever start a project and then life gets in the way.  It wasn't hard, in fact it was just spray painting and gluing, but geesh.  Anywho...

I had seen these awesome ipad stands on Pinterest.  And since I am always baking using recipes I found on Pinterest, I needed a stand!  So I blame it on Pinterest ")

Here are a few examples:

This one is from Andrea at Queen of Kings.  It is her interpretation of one at Pottery Barn, I like hers better!




This one is from Mamie Janes.  Love this gal's style repurposed to the max!



And finally this one from the gals at Shanty to Chic.
DIY iPad Stand


So I thought I can do that!  At first I was going to make it from scrap wood, but then I remembered I had an old cutting board of sorts that my Mother In Law had given me, and I had a scrabble tile holder!  Light Bulb.


Don't worry it wasn't hand painted, it was just a decal.  So I sanded and sanded, then added a few coats of primer to that side.  I chose to make the previous design side the back.  So I  then glued the scrabble tile holder on to the front..  Like my weight?
Then I sprayed the whole thing a creamy white.

It took a few coats, but I knew I was going to distress a little later so some wood grain showing through was no big deal.
I wanted to give is some character, so I added a few red stripes down the side, sort of like a flour sack.
This is before I sanded.  I still love the result.  Now came the hard part trying to figure out an easel of sorts.
I tried a trowel figuring it was the right angle, but that was a major fail!  All the epoxy did was dissolve the paint and because the base of the trowel was rounded, it just rocked.
So DH went to get a hinge and then cut a piece of wood to use as an easel.  We just needed a way to hold it in the right position.  So I used twine and upholstery tacs!  It is easy to adjust if you need too and works great!


I love how it turned out.  Now I can read recipes easily and won't have to worry about spilling on my expensive toy!


I have a case on my ipad, so that is what is off on the top.  Without the case it fits perfectly on the scrabble tile holder!  And the best part, it only cost me the price of the hinge!  I had all the other items.  Love that part!
What projects have you finally finished!

Have a great week.

Laura

Don't forget to check out what the gals, did as well:

ReneeEmilyKatie and Sherry
























8 comments:

Laura said...

This turned out great! Love the red stripes. I'm glad you went with the cutting board instead of a regular board- gives it more character and looks like it belongs in the kitchen:)

Jane said...

Thanks for letting me know you made an iPad stand! I love the stripe you added to yours and the easel stand was a great idea! I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it.
Jane

Amanda said...

Wow, I REALLY like the after. I think my favorite part is how creative you were with the little "shelf" and the back part, you didn't give up. Way to go!

My Repurposed Life said...

great job on the ipad holder!

love the touch of red.
gail

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

Love that you added the grain sack stripes. I have a cutting board just waiting to be turned into a stand. I just don't have the other parts yet. Someday...

Homeroad said...

Laura I like your ipad stand and I liked that you linked up to the blogs that inspired you. If you would like to know how you could have epoxied the trowel on the back of yours at a better angel you could read my post. I made the original ipad stand with the trowel epoxied to the back that you were trying in your pictures. http://www.homeroad.net/2013/03/upcycled-kitchen-ipad-stand.html
Susan
Homeroad

Emily B said...

What a smart idea for keeping your ipad safe! I love the little red stripes, it's the perfect touch.

~em @ small girl, big world

laurmela said...

Thanks all for your comments, I use this all the time. As long as there is Pinterest...