Thursday, January 7, 2010

Life goes on!

Don't you love how life gets in the way sometimes? I have wanted to post, but things just kept getting crazy around here, and during marching season, well you can forget getting anything done. So I am starting anew! This is the first decorating project we did.


The Powder Room. We began this in 2004 and it has evolved to what it is today!

Before: Builders Oak and blah counter and walls! And a door that opened in! Yes can you imagine being 9 months preggos and trying to use the restroom? It was not fun and a pet peeve of mine! Solution to come!

















Well not being shy I decided on a quiet little color 'Red Velvet'!
DH thought I was crazy! But I loved it, although he wasn't too sure after the first coat!



















After a few more coats, it was just what I had pictured! Now for the big surprise! I had decided I was going to mosaic the counter! Yes I am a little loopy, but what the heck, it is only tile, right!










ready to tile!







So I bought just regular white and burgundy tile at Lowes and broke them myself. Then I found some neat toile tile at Michaels already broken! And I just dug in, sort of like putting a puzzle together!

















See it wasn't that hard!


Here is the finished product, circa 2004! The gold is the family room color, this is the doorway looking into the powder room.
















Now fast forward to 2009. As my design sense has evolved I realized that there was much more I could do with this small little room. I had left the cabinet the original builders oak, but that just wasn't setting right with me. So, first I decided that I would white wash it.

Uh, not so much! DH really hated this!






So onto the full painting and embelishing. Now that is much better!







I also got on the beadboard wagon, although this was in 2008. I decided to make the back wall behind the commode all beadboard. We also added crown at the same time, see I told you I was evolving!









So now here are the final after pics, sorry this has been such a long post. It is my first big one, so I am sure it needs lots of refinement!


Here is my new chandy, I also added a medallion which you can't see :(

Here is our new door that opens out! Yes, so much more room!




I added an antique window to the back wall, luv it!







Lastly we had our contractor add sills to all the windows. Remember this was a tract house built in the 80's', there was no trim on the windows at all.





So there you have it, my 1st before and after! Thanks for reading and please leave comments!


Toodles,


Laura

This post was linked to the fabulous Metamorphis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch. Check it out!


Also linking to A Soft Place to Land DIY Day!
DIY Day @ ASPTL


8 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Very nice!!!

DeeDee said...

oh so beautiful..I just love the counter top...mosaics is one of my favorite things to do...thanks for stopping by my place today...have a great weekend

Dena Pickle said...

Great job, I was a little worried when I saw the red paint going on but it looks gorgeous! Great job on the counter top too!

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

Gorgeous! LOVE the counter!
~Amy

Unknown said...

It looks great! Trim makes so much difference!! I like your pace, that is how I get thinks done, here and there over several years....you get a better idea of what you want then too!
Bethany @ Happy By Design

brokeintrovert said...

Beautiful! That countertop is awesome and so is the red!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I know you're so happy with the powder room! Good for you for going for it ... the red is striking! I can see why DH was skeptical at first, but I'm glad he came around. Great job!

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

Love the countertop mosiac and the beadboard was a nice addition. Very beautiful room.