Thursday, June 19, 2014

Shine a light!

Do you ever see something on Pinterest and say I have to do that right now!  I have a whole board that is dedicated to 'Things to do'!  Well last week I saw this on Today's Creative Blog.

These cool Mason Jar Solar lights made with the ever so cool Krylon Looking Glass Paint!

Here is my finished product

They are easy peasy, really!

Just go to your nearest Joann's, I say this cause you can use a coupon to get the paint for 50% off if that is the coupon that is out.  I paid $7.50 for this little can!
Yup it is regularly $14.99 a can!  See that is why you need to buy it with a coupon!

Then head to Lowes or HD or Walmart, which ever your preference and buy the cheapest solar lights!  Now I measured the diameter of my jars so I could make sure the lights would fit.

Here is the ones I got at Lowes:

They were $2.98 each.  I bought 3, for my 3 jars.

I had 2 larger and one small jar to spray, plus I added one of the Bath and Bodyworks Candle jars that I had been saving for a project like this.

Here is what you do!  Mix in a clean spray bottle equal amounts of water and white vinegar.  I used 2/3 a cup of each.  I set up a spray station on the patio table by using brown paper to set them on.  I tried both ways spray on the vinegar first then the paint, or paint and the vinegar.  I preferred the result with the paint first then vinegar.  I also spray the outside in case I want to use the jar later for a vase!

So you spray the jar with the paint in short light burst of paint, not too much or it will run.  You don't want that!  Then when you get it to the coverage you want spray on the vinegar.  Then with a damp paper towel, blot the droplets.  That gives you the effect of the mercury glass.

 Here it is after spraying on the vinegar.
Then after blotting.

I really loved how they turned out and it was so easy!  I decided to spray paint the jar lids, just the circle part black, so the lights blended with it.


Sorry I haven't been able to get a good pic of them lit up at night, but they do work great!  I need to do some more of the BBW jars for storage.  Pics of that to come.

Hope you enjoy this fun easy project.

Tooddles,

Laura


The Shabby Nest
Serenity Now

No comments: