Friday, September 23, 2011

Got Scraps?

Of fabric, that is!  I tend to save most of my scraps.  Comes from my Mom I guess.  I remember we had a scrap box in the hall closet.  Mom made most of her clothes as well as mine, so there were lots of scraps.  I am sure that is what I learned to sew on, using Mom's old green Singer!  Now days I make lots of flannel rag quilts. Here is a quick Tute.   Mostly for gifts, but I found that with making the big quilts I have lots of little scraps.  Plus I have a addiction to flannel remnants!  I buy lots, especially when flannel is on sale.  Then they are even cheaper!  You can get 1/2 yd remnant for about .75! 


Here is my scrap pile, and the shelves of baskets to try and keep it organized.  Try being the operative word! 





A few years ago a friend of mine told me about an organization she helps head up.  Threads of Love!  They are a great grass roots group that makes blankets for preemies and babies that are sick, as well as vests for the little ones that have to have tubes and such.  Here is the link to my local chapter.  Threads

So I started making mini rag quilts for the babies!  Usually I just cut 5 or 6" squares and make the traditional patchwork quilt.  But this time I wanted to do something different.  I had lots of scraps that were too small to cut squares out of, so I came up with this.
This is the side that I will snip to 'rag', and the pic below is the other side.
And after snipping and washing, here is the finished product.

I love how it turned out.  I just laid it out and had to cut and adjust as I went along, but since it isn't that big, it was not a big deal.  I have also made a few traditional quilts, but I think I will try another one like this for a boy.
Motto is, don't throw away your scraps, you never know who they will benefit!

Have a great weekend,

Toodles,


Laura




The Shabby Nest


Transformation Thursday

1 comment:

Gina (Lady Goats) said...

What a great idea. I've saved my kids' clothes with the intention of making a quilt... but... I DON'T SEW!!!!! hahahaha. Love this one, though!